Monday, August 4, 2014

Brush dat´ dirt off yo shoulder

After an interesting personal study one day I commented to my companion about how Jesus commanded the apostles to shake the dust off their feet as a testimony against the people that rejected them and they would be toast in the last day. (See Scripture References here) Not wanting to use such a strong action against anyone, I have implemented a new ordinance. I call it “Brush dat´ dirt off yo shoulder.” When one is rejected by another out rightly, they must ´´Brush dat´ dirt off yo shoulder´´ as a testimony that they can´t touch your ‘flow’. Then one must move on to bigger and better things, and the aforementioned rejecter is unlikely to receive another invitation.

The following is a brief summary of the week’s highlights. For lunch the other day I ate cow stomach, which really isn´t that bad until you know what it is, at which point it loses its savor. We also came home one night at the usual hour (9pm) to find that a large gathering of people from a church that will remain unnamed had decided to hold a large concert/religious meeting right in front of our house. Not only did we have to make our way through a large crowd of people in the middle of a religious meeting, but now the whole world knows exactly where the Gringos live. Pretty cool just interrupting their meeting though… in front of hundreds of people. Also, the corner store half a block from our house got shot up the other day while we were a couple of blocks up. Annndddd I think that about wraps it all up for this week. Oh and we taught the Law of Chastity to a whole bus full of people.

You asked for recommendations for other missionaries coming here compared to the packing list the church sent: Well, I don’t use sunscreen, you can buy Qtips here easily, I don’t use jeans for anything, but sports shorts are nice. I would have brought sweatpants maybe for sleeping in colder areas, and I would have brought one more bar of soap for the CCM as I ran out before we went to the store. Also, if you have short hair you don´t need shampoo, as you can just use soap. Don´t buy ANYTHING of souvenirs in the CCM, and think really well about what protectors you get for your scriptures. Buy the nice set of scriptures in Spanish and take good care of them, making sure to have plastic bags on hand to keep them dry, and use them your whole mission,

 
Thanks for the update from home, and the info about bringing a machete home. Time is going by way too fast, I feel like I don´t have any time left and way too much to do before I leave! Hey, if you could get your hands on a little book called ´´Missionary Pal´´ and get that too me I would really appreciate it! I saw a copy in another missionaries house the other day and was able to thumb through it, and would really like for you to send one to me J Either separate, or if you had planned on sending something for Christmas that would be fine too. Thanks- love you!

Cuidense, Elder Rice

 

No comments:

Post a Comment