Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Great Apostasy of the Running Water

Well, guess who doesn´t have running water again! Que bendición!

This week has been pretty good. Riding in the back of a super full pick-up the other day I was sitting closest to the cab, just chilling. All of a sudden I spot something in the corner of my eye. Coming out of the crack between the cab and the bed, a rather large, bright green spider comes on out. Being that the truck was completely full, I had no option but to maintain my calm and hope the sucker didn´t try anything. Fortunately he was just along to chill, but holy cow I thought I was donezo.


Our district won the most successful district in the zone, so the zone leaders bought us all cake, it was pretty sweet. This week we have just been knocking a ton of doors, because we have pretty much nobody to teach now. We found like 20 people this week that are totally willing to listen to us. Not as many as I have gotten used to, but for where we are a great achievement. Our goal is to baptize somewhere around 12 of them, and if everything goes well it will be at the end of this month. We shall see.

We are going to have a new mission president starting from the 27th of this month. It is going to be weird, as I have grown to love this one very much and learned many, many things from him. More than anything I have learned from him and his wife the importance of not only being obedient, but being exactly obedient. Also, the importance and the results of, diligence. There is urgency in everything! ! I wouldn´t want to take the shoes of President Brough here, it would be seriously difficult. Our new mission president is President Markham. He is from California. One of the elders that came in with me had him as a stake president.

Adiós! Elder Rice

Also- Here's a newsletter from the humanitarian group that is serving in Guatemala. Collins Grandma and cousin are going down to help next week. Collin is the missionary they mention in the last paragraph J
 

 
 June Education Team 2014
As an Oregonian, I know what I am talking about when I say I have never seen such rain in my life!  It is chilly and wet and it has been raining for over 24 hours. The electricity was off for over 6 hours yesterday throughout the small towns in this area. I of course am warm and dry in my layers and rain jacket in a strongly built edifice but I can only imagine the discomfort and pain this is causing the citizens who will come to our clinic next week and to the children you will teach.  I am sending this out to you to remind you to bring some warm clothes. I wear blue jeans, long sleeved t-shirt, warm hoodie and rain jacket with socks and athletic shoes. Next week we will mostly wear scrubs but can layer them too if necessary. After giving you this warning, you could arrive here and find it sunny and beautiful as it was last Saturday when it was t-shirt and sandals weather.
I have this week off after three teams have come and served and am organizing, catching up, writing reports and then will spend three days in Antigua sleeping and eating at Subway and Marco Polo (ice cream). I just polished off an avocado from the tree next to the clinic so you can see I am well provided for.
Some of you may remember  Irvin, the teacher at Casa de Sion, a young man who works during the week and attends law school on Saturday. For the past four weeks he has driven us to San Andres on Sunday and we noticed he has been coming to church with some of us. Yesterday much to our surprise he was baptized!  Not only that, the missionary who taught him was Kathi and Bryce Anderson's grandson. Kathi is a member of the June education team. I just had to share that as it is a great example of how interconnected we are in this very small world and the people you will be serving will love and accept you and are in need of your sacrifice and service.
Con amor,
Katie
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment