Saturday, June 22, 2013

1 more week in the Missionary Training Center!


06/18/2013
Friends, family, other interested parties,
I still have not much to write this week. One week from today however I will be leaving the CCM, after which I will have 1 Latino companion, and the whole Central City Mission! I do not really know what to expect, so I guess you all will have to wait to hear what it is like. My Spanish is improving leaps and bounds, such that I rarely have to translate anymore back into English.

One of my pairs of shoes that I brought with me I wore while I worked at the theatre, and so after wearing them for a few weeks here, they have worn almost all the way through. Never fear though! I purchased some epoxy at Wal-Mart the other day and re soled them… sort of... I had another nice new pair too, which are holding up marvelously. They have shoe stores all over here, and I am fortunate enough to be about the same size as all the rest of the people here, so shoes shouldn’t be a problem.


I just learned the other day that since P-day (preparation day- their day to get things done) for us here is usually Wednesday, and everyone else has P-day on Mondays, and since we are leaving here on Tuesday, I will not be having anytime to write home next week... L  Oh well, I will just have tons of things to write about the week after. I expect it should start to get a lot more interesting after that.

 I guess I could tell ya´ll about my companions I have had here for the last month. Elders Refuerzo and Elder Wyatt. They are both pretty cool guys. Wyatt is really a talkative and loud person. He loves to sing all the time. His favorites are ¨I Dreamed a Dream” (from Les Miserables) and the He-Man song... it gets old after a while but all the Latinos think it is hilarious. Elder Refuerzo is awesome also. He was into a lot of the same things that I was before I left: longboarding, Xbox, YouTube, pop-culture, and shooting, among other things. He loves to lift weights and wants to be a personal trainer when he gets back. His favorite movie is Pain and Gain J  

Our main teacher is pretty sweet too! Hermano Chen. He is a native to Guatemala who just got back from his mission about 2 months ago now (1 when we got here) He likes to joke around lots, but he is also a very excellent teacher. He is planning on going to BYU in September, so all the guys that went to BYU before they left tell him absurdly crazy things about it.

You asked about the money I spent at Wal-Mart. I had to let my comp use my card since he had a lock on his backpack and no key, so he couldn’t get his wallet out. He paid me back already, I only spent about 30 dollars. I wasn’t able to find an MP3 player. We didn´t have a ton of time to look though, they only gave us 30 minutes to shop, and it was low on my priorities. If you haven’t sent the package yet you should see if you can fit a few of those 07 G2 pens please! Mine are empty, and they are like 4 dollars apiece here... also, if you haven’t sent it yet, it might be better to send a cheap MP3 player, cause I haven’t seen many. We are leaving in one week from today, so it would have to get here fast, or else just wait until I have another address for you.

The weather here is great most days! About every other day in the evening we get rain and usually lightning. Some times we get these awesome thunder storms too. I’m glad everything is good at home! I wake up lots of times and think I am still at home for a second.

Just wanted to say thank you for doing everything that you have to get me to this point. I have only been here like 5 weeks and already I feel more adult. My companions have mentioned also that I have matured since I got here. It has been such a wonderful experience and I love it. I can’t wait to get into the field and have even more great experiences. Thank you for encouraging me to go on a mission. I love it here J You wouldn’t believe it anyway, but I read the book ‘Jesus the Christ’ in my free time. I bet you also wouldn’t believe that I’m reading the Libro de Mormón from the beginning.. Es loco no?! Anyways, lots of love - Elder Rice

No comments:

Post a Comment